Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Rain

I remember distinctly the first time I smelled rain. 
At the age of 12 I was uprooted and toted to Arizona with my parents and beloved family dog Harly. I remember the summer ... Sweltering and fierce.
Someone said to wait until the rain comes with the July monsoons. That you can smell the rain coming. I laughed at the thought of being able to smell rain. 
And then the first storm hit, and i realized they were right. 
When the rain comes to the desert the dust settles and the air is clean and delicious. You can actually smell it. 
Albuquerque Is not the same. I can't tell if it's going to rain or if it's rained recently. I can't figure out when to wear a sweater or if it will be ok to wear shorts today...the weather changes quickly, with out warning and I am confused by it. 
I Am only 8 hours away and yet everything is different... I miss the smell of rain...
Cherish the little things... Take time to smell the rain :)
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment